nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple poll

  • From: Karen Tillou <arboretum@homeorchardsociety.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple poll
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 11:07:42 -0700

i have:
enterprise: fairly reliable every year if you keep them thinned, nice eating quality, decent keeping for a month or two at least in the garage, not an AM magnet.
fortune: in the middle with regards to apple maggot (not as bad as akane or russets, but it gets it), i love its color and spiciness - it used to be one of my favorites, but now it's lower on that list due to too many varieties.
grimes golden: denser and spicier flavored than G Del, but with a tendency towards biennial bearing.  that said, i got my best grimes' ever this year, with very little AM and not enough scab to mention.  lovely.  they don't hold on the tree, but they don't all drop off like a macintosh either.
redfree: a nice early-ish apple, after gravs, seems to have some scab and AM resistances as it is usually quite clean.  no keeper, just a clean, average apple flavor, nothing fancy. goes biennial without thinning.

karen
oregon city, OR - zone 8a and wet