nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple poll

  • From: "EmailUser samurphy" <samurphy@isp.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple poll
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 17:13:40 -0500

Three years ago, I got an apple tree at my local coop which was labeled "June Apple."  Shortly thereafter, another apple tree labeled "June apple" came home with me from the local flea market.  (It was so healthy and shaped so perfectly and had a better start than the first one.)  This August, the one from the flea market produced a beautiful crop of delicious crisp apples, great for eating off the tree and for apple pies and applesauce.  The one from the coop produced a few green apples with little taste.  Both are standard trees so I am wondering if they are seedling trees and not true "Juneapple."  I haven't found much information on the internet but it does look like there are green Juneapples and red Juneapples.  Why would they have that name when they are not actually ready until August?
Yates (an old time apple) is now quite full of clusters of apples.  I think I've heard that these are good keepers up until Christmas.  What is the best way to make them last if there is no room in the refrigerator and the basement never gets very cool?
Shirley in SW TN