nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Triple Crown blackberry-keeping seedlings out

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, Mark Angermayer <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Triple Crown blackberry-keeping seedlings out
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 11:56:32 -0700 (PDT)

Mark,

It could be contamination or it could be a sport. We have a plant here that
we call "early Marion" which was a sport (can't remember whether it
originated in a growers field or in one of ours) that consistently blooms
~3-4 days or so earlier than Marion but is identical to Marion in all other
respects. Though with something that suckers and forms a hedge like
'Ouachita' it would be a little more difficult to tell I suppose.

The 7 year figure surprises me a little but not so much. I wonder what
problems they have that they feel compelled to replace their plantings so
quickly. The average life of a red raspberry planting in Washington is
around 7-8 years because of disease issues and black raspberries here in
Oregon are around 3 years. A healthy planting of either should remain
productive for decades. I'm sure establishment of offtypes in the field
would be more of an issue in such a case but commercial fields just aren't in
for that long.

I've never heard of someone growing Triple Crown without a trellis. Not that
it can't be done. I suppose if you hedged the primocanes off short enough
you may be able to get them to stand up on their own for you but you'd be
losing a lot of the crop load in order to do so. I have a hard time seeing
it being grown successfully without support and still living up to its
potential. While they come out of the ground stout, the canes can be a
little limber, especially after they branch. Atleast they're thornless so
tying up the canes is a little less of a chore than otherwise :-)

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon
www.Mdossettphoto.com