nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Late ripening apples

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Late ripening apples
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:25:01 -0500

I'm a couple weeks ahead of Jim in ripening here along the Wisconsin-Illinois border. My Sweet Sixteens and Honeycrisps were picked yesterday. I have a mystery apple grafted on to Bud 9 that a nursery sent me as a replacement for Sops of Wine. They actually sent two trees in place of SOW, and both were missing tags. The nursery didn't have records as to what they sent. I finally identified one as Sweet Sixteen. The other mystery apple is as large or larger than Sweet Sixteen, deep red (almost black), crisp, juicy and sweet. It was ripe and picked yesterday, too. Does anyone have a clue to what it could be?
Doreen Howard

Jim Fruth wrote:
My Haralson and Sweet 16 are hardly showing signs of ripening. Last
week I finally got to harvest the McIntosh and about half of the Honey
Crisp. My Summer apples were all a month late too with the exception of
Yellow Transparent which ripened right on time/Early August.