nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Late ripening apples

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Late ripening apples
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 19:38:52 -0400

Jim Fruth wrote:
My Haralson and Sweet 16 are hardly showing signs of ripening. Last week I finally got to harvest the McIntosh and about half of the Honey Crisp. My Summer apples were all a month late too with the exception of Yellow Transparent which ripened right on time/Early August.

Jim Fruth

I'm running late here too. The fall has been pretty nice but most of the summer was wet and cool.
I tried a Honey Crisp yesterday and they need a little more time. Haven't tried a Sweet 16 so far. Honeygold are all looking pretty green with very little yellow. Last year, I was able to let them hang until the end of October and they were really good. I hope we get through October without getting to the lower 20s again this year.
The most obvious difference at my place is that the Red Barons are not red this year. They have reached a normal size and a few have fallen to the ground already but they almost completely lack red. They are getting edible now so I guess we will eat green Barons this year.

Steve in the Adirondacks