nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Growing Plums and Arctic Kiwi (smooth skins) from seed

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: <skkewing@yahoo.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Growing Plums and Arctic Kiwi (smooth skins) from seed
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:39:06 -0600

Sarah,

Both need to be stratified. Your peach and sweet cherry seeds may not be
surviving your winters if you are planting them outside in the fall. You can
try stratifying them in a refrigerator for 3 months, then sow them outside
in the spring.

The Arctic kiwi (A. kolomikta) seeds are somewhat difficult to germinate
compared to some of the other Actinidia species. First, soak the seeds in
water for two to three days, then place them in moist peat in a refrigerator
for about 3 months. If you then place them at room temp, some may germinate
in 2-4 weeks, but many will not until undergoing a second stratification. I
have found that the kolomikta seedlings will sometimes bloom one year from
seed, but more often take two years. You will also get both male and female
vines, with the males blooming more precociously than the females. If you
can find named cultivars instead of growing from seed, it can save you a
couple of years, and you will get plants with a proven fruit quality.

Hal