nafex - Re: [NAFEX] extracting oil from rosehip seeds

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] extracting oil from rosehip seeds
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:52:06 -0700

If I were to grind the seed, I suppose I'd have to dry, crush/thresh, and
winnow the hips to remove the seeds (though someone here may have a much
better method) then I would grind in a flour grinder along with whatever
whole grain I'm mixing them with. I'm afraid if they were ground on their
own you'd end up with a tahini-like texture.
I'm doubtful any method to produce some oil would be worth the work. I
think there are some volatile oils in the mix that would not survive the
boiling method Lon suggested; and you'd need quite a quantity of seeds and a
powerful grinder to crush them (such as a Vitamix or Blendtec blender).
If you really want the seed-nutrients/oils, I think grinding the seeds with
grain would be easiest and most efficient.

~ Stephen