nafex - [NAFEX] Pear ripening

  • From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pear ripening
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:44:18 -0700

Jim writes:

Following someone's post about picking pears before they get tree ripened
and putting them in cold storage, I picked my Ure Pears when they first
began changing color. Apparently I missed some and they fell off the tree
two weeks later. Wishing to learn how tree-ripening affected stone cell
production, I bit into several finding they are the best tasting pears I
have ever eaten. There was an acceptable, tiny bit of grit in the peel but
the flesh was wonderful. Henceforth I'll let them ripen on the tree.

My reply:

Interesting topic. I have several pear trees and note some are simply
marvelous when tree ripened. I pull some at the conventional point and tree
ripen some to get the best of both worlds.

Harvest Queen is about the finest tasting pear I have had when tree
ripe...simply amazing. When given conventional treatment it is still a darn
good pear. I have yet to get one that rotted from the inside out when tree
ripened.

Harrow Sweet is also excellent tree ripe. However some do rot from the
inside out. I can't figure out why that happens as it is definitely hit or
miss. Figure a 15% loss if you tree ripen.

Potomac is a mixed bad, it tends to rot from the inside out about 30% of the
time - but and check this out, it can and will ferment in the skin. So if
you want to get plastered this might be a candidate.

Magness and Warren both ripen on the tree with limited rot, but I cannot say
there is much of an improvement in taste over conventional methods.

Atlantic Queen....this is awesome tree ripe.

I think this is all I tried the tree ripening thing on.

the fluffy one

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====

  • [NAFEX] Pear ripening, fuwa fuwa usagi, 09/23/2008