nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pears for north iowa

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pears for north iowa
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 14:18:22 -0400

Toni Pralle wrote:
404653cf0809191048p210ddd90o130251fb3f8dbf5a@mail.gmail.com" type="cite">
>You know, David Sliwa, our northern pear consultant, is right up there around Decorah with some 40 vars he is testing.  He sells the fruit from some 5 or more vars.  He's the person to talk to.    Donna>

Thank you. Working on it right now ;-) might have time yet this fall to get one bought and planted.

--
Toni in zone 4 Iowa USA
I think that was the ultimate answer. Now you can get real information from a local expert.

I was thinking, as I read your earlier posts, that if you are ordering peach trees and expecting them to live, then your choice of pear varieties isn't all that limited. I have 2 pear trees in my yard and have grafted a few other cultivars on side branches to try them out. I wouldn't really consider trying a peach here. We usually get at least 30 below zero and have gone to 40 below some years. Last winter, -34 on February 29th.

Steve in the Adirondacks (zone 4 by the map, zone 3 by the thermometer)