nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pears for north iowa

  • From: "Toni Pralle" <toni.pralle@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pears for north iowa
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 20:24:27 -0500

Need a computer person. This reply came on my NAFEX digest:

From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

So I had to go to the home page to read it. Why?? Was it an attachment to the group? Can't think a post like this would have been an attachment.

I think that was the ultimate answer. Now you can get real information
from a local expert.<br>
I was thinking, as I read your earlier posts, that if you are ordering
peach trees and expecting them to live, then your choice of pear
varieties isn't all that limited. I have 2 pear trees in my yard and
have grafted a few other cultivars on side branches to try them out. I
wouldn't really consider trying a peach here. We usually get at least
30 below zero and have gone to 40 below some years. Last winter, -34 on
February 29th. <br>
Steve in the Adirondacks (zone 4 by the map, zone 3 by the thermometer)

 But anyway, Steve, I was speechless to find baby peaches on my tree this summer! First time ever. I'm at war with the bunnies but my trees ARE dwarf! We had a freeze again last spring. Winter is typically 30 below and wind out of the NW.  I didn't get any other fruit besides strawberries. Oh, yeah, and we had the flood. For the past 2 years we've had alternating 40 degrees followed two days later by below zero. My trees suffered. I was thinking I would put the hoses out in April and turn them on until September next year. I'm on an acreage so my cost would only be the well pump running.

--
Toni in zone 4 Iowa USA
http://www.stopanimalid.org/