nafex - [NAFEX] a pear for Iowa zone 4

  • From: "Toni Pralle" <toni.pralle@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] a pear for Iowa zone 4
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 20:37:21 -0500

I'm in the process of ordering my peaches from www.vanwell.net . Playing phone tag with the salesman for two days..........and reading the fine print in the catalog. I'll have to pay $5 for a less than $25 order SO I may as well order another tree to bring my total up ;-) I'm thinking about a pear. The two pears I have are shade trees. After reading speculation/facts here, I am sure they will always be shade trees. I thought I might order a pear from Van Well to go with my peaches. Do I have any choice for this growing area? I remember as a kid there was a pear tree next door. I think it had pears every year. That makes me think it's possible. Spring can come so late and winter so early, I don't know how to choose one.  North Iowa zone 4. Help!

--
Toni in zone 4 Iowa USA
http://www.stopanimalid.org/