nafex - Re: [NAFEX] a pear for Iowa zone 4

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] a pear for Iowa zone 4
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 04:19:25 -0400

I doubt that any pear in the Van Well catalogue would suit your climate with the *possible* exception of Flemish Beauty, and then I might be a little doubtful about the rootstock if you ever have open winters. Flemish Beauty is a very high quality pear for fresh eating, not so good for canning I hear. It is prone to fireblight and pear scab.

Luscious would be hardy with you and is of good quality, originated in South Dakota I believe.

Have a look at St. Lawrence Nursery
http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us

Do your shade tree pears bloom enough for pollination? If not you might need two kinds. I also wonder a little about the timing if they are of another species.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Toni Pralle wrote:
I'm in the process of ordering my peaches from www.vanwell.net <http://www.vanwell.net/> . Playing phone tag with the salesman for two days..........and reading the fine print in the catalog. I'll have to pay $5 for a less than $25 order SO I may as well order another tree to bring my total up ;-) I'm thinking about a pear. The two pears I have are shade trees. After reading speculation/facts here, I am sure they will always be shade trees. I thought I might order a pear from Van Well to go with my peaches. Do I have any choice for this growing area? I remember as a kid there was a pear tree next door. I think it had pears every year. That makes me think it's possible. Spring can come so late and winter so early, I don't know how to choose one. North Iowa zone 4. Help!

--
Toni in zone 4 Iowa USA