nafex - Re: [NAFEX] a pear for Iowa zone 4

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] a pear for Iowa zone 4
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 16:28:43 +0000

Sorry I'm not reading the VanWell catalog, just thinking out-loud---

How about Patten? Isn't it rated as hardier than Fl.Beauty?

Luscious is the best flavor, but it wants to over-bear and break its branches.

I've got a Clapp's Favorite which seems as hardy as others, but it is a very
mild flavored pear. I wanted to get a Summercrisp going, but it gets a leaf
disease.

I like the comment about rootstock hardiness-- that's the key, after all.

tc, sWI, practically z4