nafex - Re: [NAFEX] lilies of the valley question

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] lilies of the valley question
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:24:39 -0700

Like several other plants, they are hard to get going, and then hard to get rid of, though I would never want to do that. Bouquets of them on Mother's Day is a long-established tradition in our family.

I have bought a couple of striped-leaf ones in growth in pots, and they transplanted well and survived. Mine are in shade, in sandy acid soil, and get some water a few times in the summer when I water the rhododendrons. Their leaves are still green, and so are the berries.

I think a shovelful of them from an established patch would be best - not from a plastic package in a garden centre.

Diane Whitehead
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8, cool Mediterranean climate
mild rainy winters, mild dry summers