nafex - Re: [NAFEX] When are Muscadines Ripe?

  • From: athagan@atlantic.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] When are Muscadines Ripe?
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 08:31:38 -0400

Quoting "Dr.O'Barr" <Topgun@Otelco.net>:

Some muscadine varieties shed easily and some cling tightly. Jumbo is best when the entire stem end of the berry turns black like the rest of the berry. My neighbor picked his about a week ago but they were only half ripe here in zone 7, 30 miles south of Huntsville, AL. Most of my many varieties are still green or just turning. Some few Darlenes are ready as are some Black Frys.

Mine are nearly gone now. Still have a few out there. I got maybe half of what I should have thanks to tropical storm Fay. I picked everything I could before she came in to drop twelve inches of rain. Much of what was left ended up on the ground.

Gainesville, Florida area.

.....Alan.