nafex - [NAFEX] Pectin Jell and double jam recipes

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pectin Jell and double jam recipes
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 14:43:14 -0700 (PDT)

I've enjoyed the dialog on jam-making even though I live in Canada and have
never heard of Ball or Pumona's pectin! Up here your choice is pretty much
Certo, to the point that it is referred to in a generic sort of way (like
kleenex!).

So I'm wondering if anyone has experience with doubling jam recipes made with
Certo Light (they make pectin for jam with approx. equal sugar and fruit,
pectin with less sugar than fruit, and sugar-free), this uses 3.5 cups of
fruit for 5 cups of peaches. I have 6 kids and not enough time to make jam
by single batches! I made some Evan's cherry jam (like a Montmorency, but
sweeter-not Bing sweet tho'!): a strict double recipe didn't gel, but a
double recipe with an added 1/4 cup of lemon juice plus two extra Tablespoons
Certo pectin (works out to about two and a half a boxs per double recipe)
gelled beautifully. Raspberry jam also worked with the same recipe: double
everything, add 1/4 cup lemon juice and two extra Tablespoons of Certo
pectin. Then I tried peach jam (spiced and plain) and I am 0 for 5 double
recipes! The doubled recipe called for 4 Tablespoons of lemon juice already
so I didn't add more, but did add the extra 2 Tbsp. Certo and got
only syrup. I tried more careful measuring and boiling and 3 Tbsp. of Certo
and still got syrup. I tried 3 boxes of Certo and am still getting syrup!
All fruit for all the kinds of jam was measured after being mashed to a soup
(not chopped!) and all of my fruit was very ripe. My altitude is about 2300
feet.

Any advice???