nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Skin colour bleeding into flesh, why / how?

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: <clifford@fruitscape.co.uk>, "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Skin colour bleeding into flesh, why / how?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:40:57 -0700

I wouldn't think that it's "bleeding", or staining; the apple skin's color
doesn't come off in your hand, does it ;-) ? The cells would have to
rupture to let out the pigments. I think the plant's genetics have decided
to color up some of the flesh, apparently 'choosing' - or being triggered to
- display more of the color nearer the skin. Not all apples are
white-fleshed; apples are quite capable of coloring their flesh from a light
pink to a startling red, depending on variety.
I would hope we would have someone on the list who could explain how that
could vary from fruit to fruit...

~ Stephen