nafex - Re: [NAFEX] crabs, apple-crabs

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, bastianjim@yahoo.com
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] crabs, apple-crabs
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:51:29 -0700

Circumstances you describe make it sound like a seedling. Here's one way to find out if it's a seedling, which would increase the odds that it's not a named variety. Late spring, dig up root pieces, six inches long or longer, pencil diameter. Plant those in a nursery row and wait for them to sprout. Bud from the sprouts to a dwarf stock and when they bear in a couple of years, if they are the same as the top, you would at least know if the old tree is own-rooted. If it is, that greatly increases the odds that it's an unnamed seedling, not a named variety.
-Lon Rombough
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/