nafex - Re: [NAFEX] One answer

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] One answer
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:28:20 -0700

Fresh prunes, or prune-plums, are sweet, elongated, freestone European plums.  I think of them as Italian plums, but there are varieties from other countries.

They do make excellent prunes, and are a very, very nice dessert fruit.  The flesh is relatively firm for a plum, and people who don’t like the texture tartness of other plums may like prune plums just fine.  I’ve tried to like American and Japanese varieties as much, but I’m more a fan of the Europlums (prune, Mirabelle, Gage).  Some prunes are self-fruitful, some will want another European plum to pollinate them.  They can bear heavily and preserve exceedingly well.

~ Stephen