nafex - [NAFEX] Two Questions

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Two Questions
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:25:57 -0500

I asked this question last year or the year before, but I didn't record the answer.  How do you tell when an Asian pear is ready to pick?  My 2-1 tree is loaded with Korean Giants and Shinseikis.  It's been a strange year in that we had a very late spring, feet of rain and we have yet to hit 90F.  Last year, I picked all the pears by the third week of August, but everything is lagging this year.

Second question.  I love the plums labeled "prune plums" in the grocery store this time of year.  What are they?  I'd love to plant a tree.  And, do they need a pollinator.  I understand grapes, berries, currants, pears, apples, cherries and peaches, but plums are foreign territory for me.
Doreen Howard