nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Red currants

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: rmelrose@danvilleVT.net, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Red currants
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:39:34 -0500

Well Bill, no doubt it is all very much a matter of taste, but I find red
(and white/champagne) currants are excellent eaten fresh in combination with
ripe peaches etc. It is a combination I always look forward to; even though I
cannot grow the peaches myself.

Thanks. I'll have to try that. I do have peaches this year (those I can wrestle away from the squirrels).

One disappointment with currants is that they seem to have no distinctive taste. The pie, for example, was just... generic. I love pie, but I couldn't get excited about that kind. Now the gooseberry pie,... oh, man, that was GOOD! That's probably my new favorite (beating out strawberry-rhubarb). Gooseberries are even more sour than currants - at least, when green - but they've got flavor to go with it.

In general, though, I want fruit I can enjoy fresh. The currants might have been a mistake (unless your idea of eating them with peaches works out), but we'll see. I enjoy trying new things, anyway.

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization. - Sigmund Freud