nafex - [NAFEX] Premature yellowing and leaf-drop

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Premature yellowing and leaf-drop
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 08:46:12 -0500

Bill Garthright wrote, "But after we had an extra 5 inches of rain in June (that's a lot for Nebraska, though we didn't have flooding or anything), the leaves on the Northstar steadily turned yellow and dropped off. There's not a leaf on it now. It's in a flat area, not a depression or anything, and none of my other fruit trees had any problem (most have needed extra water since
then, but there's been no irrigation anywhere near the cherry). But there are no signs of borers or any other problem, so I imagine it must have been the rainy June.

Bill,
The same thing happened to half of my 'Sure-Fire' cherry and it had plenty of water. What happened to it is a mystery to me especially since I see the same phenomena happening to road-side bushes.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: