nafex - [NAFEX] Gooseberry Pruning Advice Please

  • From: Rosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Gooseberry Pruning Advice Please
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:45:31 -0400

I have read the "Unusual Fruits..." book on gooseberries and the pruning section talks about laterals. My plants are about two years old and have only had a few fruits on them. I am going to move them inside the fence late this fall because the varmints feast on them and I get none every year - even with the thorns!

I am really green at this and I have one stalk with a bunch of fountainous arms that could be called "laterals". Is that right? Another other small bush looks like it is All laterals, then. It is a mess, all over the ground. Do I prune it the same way? Finally, the Hinnomaki Red is sort of upright but getting very "busy". Same deal?

I am not sure of my goal with this pruning. Opening for light? Creating structure like a blackberry?

Are there "Gooseberry pruning for the newbie pictures" anywhere? Even showing before and after. These are busy plants.

Barb