nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberry Pruning Advice Please

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberry Pruning Advice Please
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:33:05 -0700 (PDT)

Barb, I am not the expert here, but I would ask what varieties do you have.  Depending on variety, some are very spreading, some are very upright and some in between.  I'm sure the experts will be better able to give you advice when they know what kind you have.

For my gooseberries, I did not prune until they started well into fruiting, then prune significant to make harvesting easy and help renew the plant.  My goal these days is to promote upward growth rather than permit much spreading growth but that is because I keep my plants close together due to limited space.

As the fruit starts to approach ripening time, I have to cover mine in order to get a harvest.

John