nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Germinating seeds

  • From: piper33@verizon.net
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Germinating seeds
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:48:04 -0500 (CDT)

When I camped in the North Cascades east of Seattle a couple years ago, I found some native juneberries that I enjoyed eating fresh (about 1000 feet higher than Lake Chelan). I saved the seeds. A week later when I returned home, I placed them in a plastic ziploc bag with a moist paper towel. They stayed in my frig for about 2 or 3 months. They either sprouted in the frig, or soon after I took them out. Those seedlings are now about a foot tall and doing well on the north side of my house.
-Mark Lee, Seattle, zone 8