nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Germinating seeds

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Germinating seeds
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:53:30 -0700

Leave them in the refrigerator until you are ready to stratify them. The cold won't stratify dry seed. They should do fine after being stratified.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/
On Jul 11, 2008, at 6:53 AM, Lucky Pittman wrote:

At 07:34 PM 7/10/2008, Lon wrote:

That reminds me.  I collected some seed from A.Xgrandiflora seedlings I'd planted out at my kids' elementary school 10 years or so ago.  They're in a pill bottle(dry, no moist peat) in the fridge, and have been for probably 6 weeks or more.
Should I pull 'em out and let 'em stay at room temp 'til sometime next winter and then do the cold, moist stratification, or have I already messed up their timing?

Lucky

-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com  Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.