nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hungarian & Duke cherries

  • From: rmelrose@danvilleVT.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hungarian & Duke cherries
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 07:57:05 -0400 (EDT)

On 11 Jul, Jwlehman@aol.com wrote:
> Is Erdi Jubileum a Duke cherry? What are known as Dukes are hybrids of
> sweet &
> sour.
>
> I have one here that I've been calling Doc's Duke, having been given to me
> by
> Doc Pounds (now deceased) at Evansville, IN. I've had it for maybe 20
> years,
> slow growing, grafted onto I don't know what. The last few years it has
> been
> bearing cherries slightly smaller than Mountmorency, later ripening, almost
> black with maroon flesh, not as sweet as the sweets nor as sour as the
> sours. It
> seems to be resistant to Brown Rot (BR), not immune. With all the rain we
> have
> had this year, half of my sweets were lost to BR. Doc's Duke maybe about
> 5%
> BR. We have a few gallons in the freezer and I can't wait for pies from
> Barbara's kitchen.
>
> The birds pretty well leave them alone, not being bright colored. The large
> mulberry tree maybe 300 feet away also help detract them.
>
> If anyone is a collector and would like to try it remind me next spring and
> I'll send scion wood. It is public domain material.
>
> Jerry Lehman
>

> **************
> Get the scoop on last night's hottest shows and the live music
> scene in your area - Check out TourTracker.com!
>
> (http://www.tourtracker.com?NCID=aolmus00050000000112)

I think it would take some genetic work to decide what Jubileum is. From
what I have read these are recent cultivar selections from various parts of
Hungary. The fruit at least makes it appear to have a lot of P. avium in it
so maybe it is comparable do a Duke cherry. I have never supposed that
Dukes would be even close to hardy here. The Jubileum looks mostly like
P. cerasus and that is how it is usually listed.

Richard, Z4a.

  • Re: [NAFEX] Hungarian & Duke cherries, rmelrose, 07/11/2008