nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Peach issue

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Peach issue
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 15:36:46 -0700

There are a few fungi that cause peach rot. Fungicides of whatever type are
preventative; they need to be applied to fruit before the disease appears.
Did you use a lime sulfur dormant oil, or other antifungal spray?

It might not be too late to protect the other fruit. You could try removing
the infected fruit - I'd wear gloves then get rid of the gloves along with
the fruit, and then try an calcium polysulfide spray, like Polysul or Green
Cyprus Limu Sulfur. Calcium polysulfide can be applied during the summer
for brown rot, 3 to 5 times at one week intervals.

Serenade is a biological broad-spectrum antifungal that has been shown, in
tests, to be effective against Peach brown rot here in California. We have
a Mediterranean climate with dry summers, and peach rot control is easier
here. It's not currently registered for use on peaches.

~ Stephen