nafex - Re: [NAFEX] M111

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] M111
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 15:57:36 -0400

Hi Tanis. This is also why I am grafting on M111. As far as cold hardiness I find that they seem OK. When I get a dies back, it is usually due to the variety and the root send out new shoots. M111 seems quite hardy in my location, colder than yours without a doubt.
I find trees branching out very low and a friend told me to let the main leader reach chin level before letting side branches develop. So I have been pinching back all side shoots to let the tree know where I want it to go...
I was wondering whether the low lateral meant that the tree was trying to stay closer to the ground. I did though observed since I asked that question that a seedling from a blue pairmain apple that I planted is also growing this way and a few others as well, and these are most likely standard trees.
So maybe all trees like to develop some side branches along the way, without it being a reflection on their actual tree size.

Pruning is fascinating...

I do have lots of deers, last year being a disaster on the deer front. They like the small apple trees, and totally ignore pears. After the deep snow cover of last winter, the deer population is down, so maybe my trees will have a favorable window to get past the point where they eat the main leader. I tried to explain to them that if they are patient enough, there will be a reward... but to no avail...

Hélène
----- Original Message ----- From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>