nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Organic

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Organic
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 12:31:24 -0700

How often did you apply the Pyola and Neem for the beetles? To be
effectively repellent, Neem would have to be applied every 5 to 7 days.
Pyola should work on contact, but doesn't persist long, and would also need
to be reapplied. K+ Neem, insecticidal soap/Neem combination, will kill
other beetles on contact, and might work for the red leaf lily beetle.
Spinosad insecticides are an organic control that is reported (by University
of Massachusetts) to control the larva.
And there's always hand-picking; place a white sheet under the plants before
you shake the beetles free. They land on their backs and blend in with the
soil - the sheet will make them easier to see.

~ Stephen