nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Organic

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Organic
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 11:16:16 -0700

It's not as much the company, as the product, and the particular problems
you're trying to deal with. I do order sometimes Gardens Alive, especially
when I have one of their coupons. There are other purveyors of organics,
though, you might want to check out; for instance, Peaceful Valley at
Groworganic.com.

Are you considering Surround because of plum curculio? I read testimonies
of differing levels of success. It may depend on the concentration of the
pest present where you are. PC is terribly difficult to control
organically, and Surround is, right now, about the only choice. Some people
do have good success with it, and I think it's worth trying. Others find
organic control insufficient, and make limited use of Imidan. There's a
promising, but often impractical, control of letting hogs loose in the
orchard to clean up dropped fruit before the PC larva migrate into the soil.

~ Stephen