nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Missing Jap beetles?

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Missing Jap beetles?
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 15:06:57 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

We still have plenty O'beetles, neighbor.

In fact, I've spent the last two mornings spraying while they defoliate the
cherries and quinces. Maybe fresh Bull-Eye (spinosad) would be more
effective, but the 3-year old stuff I used (at 3X concentration the last
time) failed to do anything to them. Next was pyrethrin/rotenone. The
pyrethrins gave a quick knockdown, but this combo didn't kill a single
beetle. This morning, Malathion. We'll see, but after 2 hours, I see no
significant death.

I've only managed to treat about 20% of the yard with milky spore, so that
may be the difference in our observations.

Anton
North Carolina, Zone 8