nafex - [NAFEX] Honeybees

  • From: "Shirley Murphy" <samurphy@isp.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Honeybees
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 13:12:12 -0500

Honey bees have been a rare siting in my area in the past.  This year, however, I noticed that they are blanketing the orchard floor where yellow flowers have volunteered.  Finally, the source became evident as I was walking my creeklline.  Up about 25 feet in an old hollow in a hornbeam was a bustling bee business.  After several years of considering beehives, I am delighted that they set up a homestead on their own.  I am considering setting up an uninhabited "turn-key" hive in my little orchard.  In case they decide to divide and swarm they might find it convenient.  Has anyone ever tried this?