nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Missing Jap beetles?

  • From: athagan@atlantic.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Missing Jap beetles?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:35:18 -0400

Early this spring I had more honeybees in the greenhouse working the citrus blossoms than I've seen here in some years.

Haven't seen a one since then.

The kumquat in the driveway though put on a second blossom flush starting about two weeks ago and it has drawn copious bumblebees, blueberry bees, at least two other species that I can't decide if they're some sort of bee or wasp, along with various moths and butterflies. It seems to have set a goodly number of fruit.

My squash always draws a lot of bumblebees in the early morning.

We don't seem to get Japanese beetles down here.

.....Alan.

Quoting Donna &/or Kieran <holycow@cookeville.com>:

Hal, How very odd. We are not seeing many bumblebees, but had plenty of
honeybees in the spring. We seem to have some really big early attractions
for honeybees but never see many later in the year when so many plants are
blooming closer to their homes I guess. I'll bet you are just on a
different cicada cycle and may have them show up next year. Did you have
them exactly 17 years ago, or only about 17 years ago? Donna