nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Missing cicadas - was Missing Jap beetles?

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Missing cicadas - was Missing Jap beetles?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:21:53 -0600

Exactly 17 years ago. We also had a 13-year brood emergence in 1998. There
were articles in the local paper a couple of months ago warning of the
arrival of this brood of cicadas in the Nashville area, but it never
happened. There were huge numbers reported a couple of counties to our
northeast. During the emergence 17 years ago, the exoskeletons were piled up
to a foot high around old oak trees around Nashville. The maps I have seen
showed us in the range, but near the western limit of this particular brood,
so it appears the range has shifted to the east, or at least they failed to
survive here for some reason. Maybe the 13-year grubs ate the 17-year grubs!

Hal