nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Missing Jap beetles?

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Missing Jap beetles?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 11:48:24 -0400

Yes! I have been experiencing the same phenomenon. I spread Milky Spore
last year for the first time as last July I spent more time picking
beetles off my apples and beans than picking blueberries off my group of
mature Rabbiteyes! Definitely not how I enjoy spending my time.

I was going to attribute the dramatic decline to either the severe
drought we had (are having) or the Milky Spore. Is anyone else
experiencing a decline who has not also experienced a drought last year?

Now that you mention it, we have had the usual abundance of June bug
larvae in the soil, although I am not seeing as many adult June beetles
as usual....

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC