nafex - [NAFEX] Lee's scarred fruit comment

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Lee's scarred fruit comment
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 10:15:33 -0400

Lee wrote, "Actually, scarred apples that stay on the tree are pretty much fine for eating. The scar is only a surface blemish. I don't think the scar should really affect storage either."

If only that were actually true- there might be a thriving organic apple industry out east and my business would be so much easier.  Lee, where you are you may actually harvest a lot of usable, slightly scarred apples but that is not the norm in my experience.  I remember sharing  that comment with Jim Cummins when you made it to me in the same conversation I mentioned earlier- he was baffled.  We are both used to seeing deformed and useless fruit as a result of PC.