nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Lee's scarred fruit comment

  • From: Lee Reich <garden@leereich.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Lee's scarred fruit comment
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 11:31:01 -0400

It evidently depends on the amount of the damage. Quoting from one of Cornell's publications:

The plum curculio (PC) is a serious pest of plums, prunes, cherries and apple in New York. It also
attacks apricot, nectarine, pear and quince as well as wild plum, hawthorn and native crabapples.  This insect is
most abundant in orchards adjoining hedgerows and woodlands that offer shelter or overwintering adults. Both
feeding and egg laying scars result in russeted areas on the surface of the fruits. The crescent-shaped scar from
oviposition is useful in diagnosing damage from this pest. Severely injured fruits become misshapen. Infested
fruits often drop early and with smaller fruits, such as cherry, the entire fruit may be ingested by the larva.

In my experience, severely damaged fruits usually drop when quite small so the only damaged fruit that I see have only one or two scars. The most important point is: plum curculio is bad, and must be controlled if you want to eat apples.

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
The Pruning Book
Weedless Gardening