nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Peach Identification

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Peach Identification
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 08:54:59 -0500

Ackerman Nurseries in Bridgman, Mich., used to sell a purple-leaf peach.
When I was a kid, I planted a couple on our farm in Kansas, where they
received the runoff from a chickenhouse roof (this is an area of the
state that only receives about 19 inches of precipitation annually).
They bore most years, and mom used to pickle them. The leaves were
indeed purple, but turned greenish (always with some purple in them) as
summer progressed. Its blossoms were pink and the rather small fruit
were white with a red blush. I don't know of any mail order nurseries
that still offer it. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.