nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Neil's comments on orchard ladders

  • From: Neil Hochstedler <neilho@innevi.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Neil's comments on orchard ladders
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 09:21:52 -0400

Alan wrote:

"Why would 3 feet ever be more stable than 4?"

Mark's grinder stand, standard optical lens mounting practice and milking
stools are some examples. But back to ladders. True, 3 legs aren't
necessarily more stable, just stable without shimming the odd leg, which
takes time. And if, as it often happens, one leg shifts when weight is put
on the ladder, the 3 legged ladder stays relatively stable without
reshimming. A 4 legged ladder does resist falling to one side more than an
equivalently sized 3 legged ladder so 3 legged ladders' rung side are made
quite a bit wider to compensate.

"On very uneven ground you can use a large flat stone or piece of wood to
stabilize a single loose foot."

Certainly. It takes time, time that is more productively used to pick or
prune. Instead of carrying a piece of wood or flat stone, a ladder, a saw
and other pruning gear and shimming ladder legs, all in snow so deep it
comes up to the 2nd or 3rd rung, I'd rather carry just a saw and a pruning
pole.

"I also tried a Wheeler saw once and threw it away. My Silky cuts about
twice as fast."

Which model Silky do you like? (There seem to be quite a few.)

I'd be happy to buy the Wheeler from you if you still have it.

Neil

02:12 PM 6/2/2008 -0400, Alan wrote:
>_I start pruning as soon as the snow starts in Dec. and I'm in the snow
belt. I prune every working day, from the first snow that sticks until
early April, even in blizzards and even when I have to knock the ice off
the trees to get my footing. I've used my Little Giant ladder on ice
slopes where spikes would have been very helpful and most don't dare even
try to walk. I have about 2 decades of winters under my belt, including one
where we got over 300 inches of snow and plenty of others with over 100.
Why would 3 feet ever be more stable than 4? On very uneven ground you can