nafex - [NAFEX] Planting trees 2-3' apart

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Planting trees 2-3' apart
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 09:01:21 -0500

About a dozen or so years ago, a fellow from the South Eastern Minnesota Apple Industry (I forgot his name) wrote a book/pamphlet called, "Plant them tight and manage them right." In it he extolled the benefits of close spacing of apple trees, like 4' apart. Because of the (claimed) benefits, I was almost ready to start ordering trees, but, thinking the better of it, I decided I wanted to confront him with a few questions. During our phone conversation, he happened to mention that he was talking about columnar apple trees, a fact that he hadn't mentioned in his book. Oh joy! I wonder how many folks followed his advice without knowing what type of tree he wrote about.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: