nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Neil's comments on orchard ladders

  • From: Neil Hochstedler <neilho@innevi.com>
  • To: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>, nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Neil's comments on orchard ladders
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 08:49:34 -0400

Alan,

You wrote:

"Of course people of similar experience and expertise can disaggree"

Glad to read that.

"I was slightly annoyed at your presumption that my opinion was based on
inexperience in snow,..."

I apologize for offending you. I picked and pruned apples professionally
for 10 seasons in the Northeast, mostly in Vermont, New Hampshire and
Massachusetts, picked for several more seasons in the Northwest and have
continued to work my own orchard of 200+ trees and others in Vermont for an
additional 20. I've met many pro pruners along the way, none of whom use a
ladder to prune, deep snow or not. My experience and your writing style
left me with the initial impression that you were not a pro.

"...best to speak from your own experience not presume someone elses. "

While that appears to be at heart an humble approach, it leads to many
sentences beginning with the word I, I, I and I and fosters perception of
the writer as pompous egomaniac. So there is a delicate balance to be had
between exclusively personal statements and general ones that include others.

"Don't get the one with fine teethe on the tip, it's pointless in my opinion."

A fine pun. You're a man with a keen sense of humus. OK, OK, I'll stop the
pun-ishment.

Thanks for your opinions on the Silky.

Neil

ipAt 09:55 AM 6/4/2008 -0400, you wrote:
> Neil, I use the Gomtaro 300, coarse teethe. Used to use an ARS of
similar size but the handles had a primitive bolting system that caused
problems. Before that I used a Felco but somehow they apparently started
getting screwed by the Japanese manufacturer of their blades and the blades
started to bind.

As far as stablizing my ladder with a flat stone, I rarely need to do that
so it is not a factor in my efficiency- people are generally amazed at the
speed I can get through an orchard- no brag, just a probably hopeless
attempt to establish credibility. The advantage of a step ladder that you
can go up one side and down the other means you have to move the ladder
about half as much, makes a huge difference.

I understand the advantages of the traditional tri-pod and as I stated in
my post, my helper used one all winter in a commercial orchard for over ten
years, but when he tried the little giant system he considered it much
better. Of course people of similar experience and expertise can disaggree
but I was slightly annoyed at your presumption that my opinion was based on
inexperience in snow, best to speak from your own experience not presume
someone elses.

I would not be surprised if I spend more hours every year pruning fruit
trees than anyone else in the entire country- a total of six months a year,
almost every working hour of every working day. This doesn't prove that I
know what I'm talking about but it sure proves that I've convinced a lot of
people that I do who pay me a professional wage.

AM Leonord carries the Silky I'm talking about. Don't get the one with
fine teethe on the tip, it's pointless in my opinion.

Best wishes, Alan Haigh