nafex - Re: [NAFEX] hoops for blueberry bird netting

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hoops for blueberry bird netting
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 18:47:22 -0400

I grow short blueberries, but here's what I do:

I put fenceposts around my row of blueberries. At the bottom I have one
foot of hardware cloth, to keep chimunks and birds from getting through
(more on that later) and I have a second foot of chickenwire to keep
rabbits from eating the buds in the winter. It's easy to step/reach over
my 2-foot tall fence to get in to weed, fertilize, mulch, or whatever.

Only when the blueberries are ripening and until they9e been picked, I toss
some plastic bird netting over the fence-posts. It drapes to below the top
of the hardware cloth. This keeps out the birds and most of the chipmunks,
and I can lift it aside to pick. I used to drape the bird netting to the
ground, but critters would try to get underneath it, and I had to remove a
lot of dead junkos and chipmunks from the netting. They don't get tangled
in the more solid and small-meshed hardware cloth.
___
Ginda