nafex - [NAFEX] storing apples

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] storing apples
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 05:29:58 -0400

Storing apples can be a complicated subject.  Different varieties store better at different temps.  Many can take cold down to 26F. or so others break down quickly if it's cooler than 35.  The way to make it a simpler subject is to grow some really hard late varieties for your storage.  Here Goldrush and Fuji are good to go through March if kept reasonably cool in a basement.  Goldrush is relatively resistant to subfreezing temps. Of the antiques some of the Russets hold well but not quite like the new super-hards.  I'm sure there are many out there with more experience than me at storing antique varieties.

A few years back someone posted something in Pomona about storing them in the ground in sealed barrels to create a primitive atmosphere controlled storage system.  Maybe someone out there has the details on that.

  • [NAFEX] storing apples, Alan Haigh, 05/28/2008