nafex - Re: [NAFEX] red elderberry

  • From: "bluestem_farm@juno.com" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] red elderberry
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 03:21:40 GMT

Everything that I've read says that the red elder is poisonous, or at least not edible.

Muffy Barrett
Southern WI

-- "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko@wiktel.com> wrote:
Does anyone eat the flowers or fruit of red elderberry, Sambucus
racemosa?  Fruit is bitter.  I bought one more than 20 years ago.
Nursery said it was the edible kind of elderberry.  I didn't know
better. Started spreading and I cut them down every year but they
survived.  I have a big one next to my house that is thriving and I
gave up extermination and accept it.  Black elderberries here die to
the ground in winter and feebly grow back and give just a few
berries.  Not as hardy as red.

Walleye fishing was great today.

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.