nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Selling fruit (small scale)

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Selling fruit (small scale)
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 10:56:30 -0400

On May 26, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Hélène Dessureault wrote:

When there is no money exchange, the work is not accountable and not taxable.

I'm not a tax accountant, but I think technically that's not so. I think both parties are supposed to report barter income on their tax forms. In practice I suspect this is rarely done, and very hard to enforce, unless it was done in a formal barter network and records kept.

If someone got a lot of their income or labor this way, however, and if somebody in officialdom did notice, there might be trouble. I suspect trouble might be also possible from the minimum-wage enforcement people, in the case of labor.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly