nafex - [NAFEX] Selling fruit (small scale)

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Selling fruit (small scale)
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 08:00:37 -0500

Something I left out/forgot to mention is a positive side of U-Pick. We kept a list of some of the nicer, more congenial pickers and invite them back. We especially invited the poorer folks, those who wish we would charge less. The deal we offer is, "You pick one for you and one for us and no money needs to change hands." That solved the problem of most of the dropped fruit and if "the one for us" was over-ripe fruit, that's okay because we are in the jelly business and we can use the over-ripe fruit.
There is one problem with doing it this way, though. Our accountant said that, technically, our pickers become employees subject to tax withholding, workman's compensation, etc. He did add that so long as we treat it like 'day labor' that we probably won't ever have a tax collector knocking on our door.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: