nafex - Re: [NAFEX] To bemuse you; one confused Liberty apple tree

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] To bemuse you; one confused Liberty apple tree
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 01:20:40 +0000

south central WI (beautiful weekend, woods full of wild-geranium flowers!):

Haven't seen a tree & shrub spring bloom season this late for several/many
years. We have lilacs for Memorial Day, which hasn't happened in a while!
The sequence of species is about normal, and most of the apple varieties are
staying in flower a long time. I'm noticing some apples which normally bloom
in early group are late, but I think it has to do more with the stress of
drought last June & July followed by stress of August rain-rain-rain.
Another stress reaction was most apple trees put on a burst of fresh growth
from that late irrigation, and so the "scionwood", if it could be called
that, was poor quality!