nafex - [NAFEX] Non-furiting gooseberry

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Non-furiting gooseberry
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 20:38:25 -0700 (PDT)

I have a variety of gooseberry, likely "Catherine", that so far has failed to produce any fruit after several years of being large enough.  I've propagated it and have it growing in two different locations with the same results.  I have a lot of gooseberry plants and a lot of different varieties and all are doing well, producing fruit, except this one.

The plants are healthy and bloom normally, are visited by pollinators with plenty of available pollen sources, small berries result early on (1/8" typical), but the berries do not grow and eventually fall off.  The plants are loosing their young fruit right now.  This is not a disease or pest problem as it does not occur with any of the other gb's I have.

Anybody care to share an opinion as to what I am dealing with.  I would guess a pollination issue, but find it hard to believe in the circumstances.

  • [NAFEX] Non-furiting gooseberry, John S, 05/24/2008