nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Melons anyone?

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Melons anyone?
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 22:38:57 -0500

Steve wrote: "One thing I always noticed though is that it was like someone
turned off a switch on September 1st. Melons harvested in August were
sweet and good. After September 1st any remaining melons were quickly
loosing sweetness and soon were not worth eating."

That reminds me of blackberries in England. The myth is that the Devil spits on the blackberries on a certain day and they aren't fit to eat after that. I was told this one hot (for England) droughty summer when I kept on picking blackberries after the deadline, I think it was Sept 1st. The next year they suddenly went moldy about that time. Donna